We hope you love the products we recommend. TheMeatHouseBlog.com may earn a commission on qualifying purchases from Amazon Associates or other vendors. Read more here.
Last Updated on October 22, 2021
Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 beef shoulder or flank steaks, cut 3⁄4 inch thick (about 8 oz each) *Ask one of our expert butchers to cut this for you
- 1 loaf (1 lb) focaccia or ciabatta bread, cut horizontally in half
- 8 slices tomato
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese Sauce:
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
Preheat grill on high heat for 15 minutes. Season steak on all sides with salt and pepper. Grill steak on high heat for 8 minutes per side, or until preferred doneness.
Let steak rest for 20 minutes before slicing, then slice meat (thinly) on an angle against the grain. Place steak on the bread, then cheese.
Now season the cheese with salt, pepper, and EVOO. Layer peppers, then basil, then tomatoes.
Finally, top with remaining half of bread. Reduce heat on grill to medium and grill sandwich for 2 minutes per side until cheese is melted.