Today is Cinco de Mayo and your local bars and taquerias are sure to be packed at capacity with revelers enjoying their favorite Mexican fares and imbibing, perhaps too much, tequila.
A brief history lesson for those who don’t know what it is exactly that we are celebrating in the first place:
Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Battle of Puebla, an historic Mexican military victory. We know Spanish conquisatdores invaded Mexico in the 16th century, and Spanish remains the official language of Mexico today. So, the holiday must celebrate a Mexican victory over Spain, right? Wrong! It was a Mexican victory against France. Mexico gained its independence from Spain in 1810. The Battle of Puebla took place on May 5, 1862, during the so-called French Intervention in Mexico. Forces led by Mexican General Ignacio Zaragoza defeated a larger and better-equipped French force in the city of Puebla, about 68 east of Mexico City. 
If you want to skip the lines and anticipated antics and instead celebrate with home-cooked dishes, sports, and margaritas we don’t blame you. The Meat House has you covered with all you will need to throw your own little fiesta in the comfort of your home. We’re getting you ready to celebrate with Chicken Fajita Mix made with a delicious Marinated Chicken and Steak Fajita Mix with our classic Steak Tips- yum. Top these off with our fresh Salsa and Guacamole made in house. Let us spice up your weekend with the flavors of The Meat House.
Fajitas for the Family- Makes enough for about 10 Fajitas
- 1 lbThe Meat House marinated chicken and/or steak tips
- 10 flour tortillas(8 inch)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- onion– to your liking, but remember they have a tendency to cook down, we recommend using 1 or 2 depending on their size
- 2 Bell peppers- again your choice! (green, yellow, or red)
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
- Cut onions in half lengthwise and slice into strips.
- Repeat step 2 with peppers.
- In large non stick skillet over medium high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add onions & peppers stirring for 3-4 minutes, until softened; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return onions and peppers to skillet; stir for about one minute.
- To serve, spoon a serving of chicken or steak in the middle of each tortilla, top with guacamole, salsa, sour cream and other topping you might enjoy. Fold bottom of tortilla up over filling; fold the sides in, overlapping.
And as always- whether you’re in the mood to cook or in the mood for a home-cooked meal come see us at The Meat House, either way we will always have you covered!